Buzzings from a quilter who bumbles her way through life!

Monday, January 16, 2012

My Very First Quilt Tops - 33 years ago



I was looking through my UFO box this morning and came across my two oldest "unfinished objects". 
When my two oldest sons were very young (about 2 yrs. and 4 yrs. old) I attempted to make quilt tops for them.
 
Quilting was not yet a popular thing in the late 70's. I didn't know anyone who quilted except my husband's aunt. She didn't live nearby, so I couldn't go to her for advice. AND, machine quilting wasn't acceptable at this point. You mailed off your top to someone who would hand quilt it for you and mail it back. I couldn't afford to do that at this point in my life, so they stayed unquilted.
 
I didn't have a pattern or even a book to tell me how to sew a quilt top, so I just came up with my own designs and dove in. I did have a couple of quilts passed down to me, so I knew most quilts had blocks and sashing (although I had no idea of the terminology). The fabric available then was a polyester/cotton blend, so that's what I used along with scraps I had been given.

I had no idea of the things to really watch out for when putting my top together. I didn't know what made a quilt top neat and nicely sewn. 



Now I know that my blocks and sashing should line up!






my poor little fish is upside down, but that's not the worst of his problems!



My blocks should be the same size!

And I know now to not cut the points off my triangles!


Despite these problems that seem so obvious now, I put these unquilted tops on my boy's beds and let them enjoy them. They have a few spots and stains and I had to repair several seams. 

Now......do I quilt them in their current condition or take them apart and rework them before quilting? The "persnickety" among you will say "REWORK", but could it be the true value of these sad little quilt tops is that a young mother made an attempt to provide something special for her little boys despite her limitations? Would reworking them destroy the evidence of that? I'll have to think about this one - maybe for another 33 years!
post signature

14 comments:

  1. My two cents...quilt "as is". It should be a reminder of how far you've come and how much you've learned. How sweet that even without the support of other quilters, you had the ambition to TRY...don't erase the character and integrity of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would repair what I could and just quilt as is. These are great memory quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would quilt as is, certainly. I love that you weren't a perfect quilter when you first started but that you have learned along the way. It gives others hope! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would just quilt as is. They are full of love and history and you don't want to rework that...I think that makes them extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would keep them as they are and quilt away! Such wonderful memories to be handed down even with all the imperfections. Best of all they were made with love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everyone - repair what is necessary and quilt as it or the quilts will lose much of their history and charm

    ReplyDelete
  7. As is! The love is there and that is all that counts! What a blessing that you still have them and did not salvation army them or something!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely repair what is necessary and then quilt as is!!! ... Lol, looks like there is consensus amongst us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep. I agree. Quilt them as they are (repair as needed). They are charming and the way your boys remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll agree with everyone else, quilt it as is. The memories for the boys are too precious to change.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My vote is "quilt as is"...I, too, made a quilt for my son about thirty years ago, and left it unfinished until four years ago, when I quilted it and gave it to him (and his bride) on their first wedding anniversary. They were thrilled, and said all the little "defects" were just things that would endear it to them. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh please don't rework them! You have such precious memories and so do your boys...even though the triangle points and polyester fabric won't mean much to them. Quilt them for certain and then gift them to the boys. They will love having them I know. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  13. These quilts are part of your journey. You wouldn't throw away the Christmas decoration the kids made in first grade just because they did better in their teens? Definitely as they are

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't fix them, they are perfect and full of love and character. Hand them down to your sons' children as an heirloom.

    ReplyDelete

You can leave your comment here! (I'm so sorry, but if you are an Anonymous commenter, your comment will not publish. This is because of the huge amounts of spam that I have received from anonymous sources.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...