Buzzings from a quilter who bumbles her way through life!

Friday, December 14, 2012

Decorator Cookies


Are you looking for a very simple, delicious cookie for the holidays? This simple cookie can be quickly mixed, the dough stored in the refrigerator, and baked up between sewing machine sessions. I even used a sewing notion to press some of my cookies! This is a great cookie for tea or coffee. Its not overly sweet and is similar to a shortbread. Your kids or grandkids will enjoy pressing designs in them before baking. Actually, I enjoyed it myself!

                            Decorator Cookies
(from "Betty Crocker's Ultimate Cookie Book" , 1992.)
The recipe is actually called, "Lemon Decorator Cookies" and is found on page 94. I used almond extract instead of the lemon zest, but you can use whatever flavor you want!
1 cup butter, softened 
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
flavor of choice (they suggest 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel but I used 1 teaspoon almond extract)
2 cups all purpose flour   

 Mix butter and cream cheese in large bowl of your mixer. Cream it together well.
Add 1/2 cup sugar and your flavoring and cream the sugar in well.  
 



Add the flour gradually and mix it until all is blended. Overmixing at this point will make your cookies tough.  I mix until everything is blended, then stop the mixer and form it into a ball that goes in the refrigerator for about 2 hours to chill.

 When the dough is chilled, set your oven at 375 degrees. I like to cover my cookie sheet with parchment paper, but if you are not doing that, don't grease your pans.
Roll the dough into 1" balls. Use a cookie press dipped in sugar to flatten the cookie and leave a design in the top. The book gives instructions for using the sliced end of a carrot carved out into a design and dipped in sugar as a press. 
a cookie press
the end of an empty thread spool
the bottom of a punch cup

  Bake at 375 for 7 to 9 minutes and then cool cookies on a rack.  
 Enjoy!
Until next time...
Bee Blessed! 

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Linda, how yummy!! I look forward to giving this recipe a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look YUMMY! Going to try these this weekend they would be perfect for a get-together we are going to Monday night. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look yummy and the sugar content is so low I think my diabetic could even have some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute!!! You have so many good ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look like yummy cookies and I like the idea of using the empty spool for decorating! My sister makes cookies a lot, I'm going to pass this on to her.

    ReplyDelete

You can leave your comment here! (I'm so sorry, but if you are an Anonymous commenter, your comment will not publish. This is because of the huge amounts of spam that I have received from anonymous sources.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...